• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

good team...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I've often found it strange (and not just a little bit frustrating) how a newborn calf never quite figures out how to get up and on thier 'feet' until AFTER I get them in the sled, harness-myself up and manage to get some 'teamwork' going, only to see the calf scrabble to it's feet and topple-overboard onto the cold, hard ground...and I typically gotta tip-toe sideways 'cowboy-ninja style' back to the sled (to avoid 'scaring' the momma-cow ALL THE WAY RIGHT BACK to where we just came from) no less than three or four times, and I gotta pick up the slimy calf and put 'em back in the sled, harness myself up again and somehow sweet-talk the cow BACK to the sled, so we can try, try TRY again...only to have one or two OTHER cows get up and insert themselves into the equation, start grannying... :sure: :sure: :sure:

Anyone else had this problem ? Have always thought about attaching a 'cargo-net' kindof thingy that would help keep the calf from climbing/falling out...but once calving hits full-force, there's never enough to time to make it happen...

This is my 2nd straight year without having to deal with it...but my phone might YET ring with a decent job offer, before calving season is over...

Ltdumbear said:
I've often found it strange (and not just a little bit frustrating) how a newborn calf never quite figures out how to get up and on thier 'feet' until AFTER I get them in the sled...and I typically gotta tip-toe sideways 'cowboy-ninja style' back to the sled (to avoid 'scaring' the momma-cow ALL THE WAY RIGHT BACK to where we just came from) no less than three or four times, and I gotta pick up the calf and put 'em back in the sled, and coax the cow BACK to the sled, so we can try, try again.

Anyone else had this problem ? Have always thought about attaching a 'cargo-net' kindof thingy that would help keep the calf from climbing/falling out...but once calving hits full-force, there's never enough to time to make it happen...

This is my 2nd straight year without having to deal with it...but my phone might YET ring...

...hopefully...

I've had the same problem, came up with the same solution in my mind, and got just as far as you in making the solution a reality :cboy:

Instead I end up taking a cotton rope pigging string and hogtie the little devils. I've gotten fairly handy at tying the slippery little devils too :cowboy:

I also find that the longer the tow rope on the sled the better the momma will follow. Some can be kinda shy. It also allows me a bit of a head start if momma blames me for the situation.

Yup, tarp straps--that stretchy bungy cord, actually---then twine, after somebody robs the bungy for something else....

grafting a calf, it helps to 'hobble' an older one and make it knda helpless and thrashing.....

That horse is outstanding--neat!

Try zip tying their legs together. The cheap ones break too easily, though.

Like that video, wish I had a horse that well trained at this point, although our cows are all calving on grass in spring so there's little need to put a rope on anything. As for sleds I've drilled holes down the sides and used tarp straps over the calf, or like Silver said, hog tie them with a pigging string.

Found that sled in a Runnings yesterday so snatched one up to see how it works. It does look like it needs to be shortened with a sawzall.

Finally I am where I can download videos, so just now got to see this one. Loved it! That horse is priceless.
I am at the library using their wi-fi. Rural AZ has terrible service so I am handicapped to some extent. Phone hardly
works as well, Mr. FH old flip phone is the best for reception here.

Faster horses said:
Maybe....get the cow in before she calves and let HER pack it to the barn. :? :D

Sadly, we are in a terrible service area and I can't see the video. :(
Some times l find it easier to get the cow using the calf as bait

Latest posts