• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Big blow and lots of rain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Just got home from a two weeker up to Wy, Sd, Ne, Ks an OK. Really glad to see Tx again. Praying for rain at the ranch and we got it - 25" worth and it's still raining. Eye went right over my place. Don't know how much damage yet. Got a oak tree thru my roof at home though. Tree folks are here right now cutting it off.

Hope all are safe. We started getting rain today off Harvey. God bless y'all

Faster horses said:
What BMR said.

What were you doing in Wy, SD, NE, KS and OK?

Went up to see the eclipse and just stayed for a few days. S. Dakota was totally unexpected. What a beautiful state, or at least around Mt Rushmore. Lots of corn in Nebraska and Kansas - no trees. And a long way between towns. Must take a half a tank of gas just to get groceries.

Some areas around Houston had as much as 40 " of rain. One suburb called in Noah as a consultant.

lavacarancher said:
Faster horses said:
What BMR said.

What were you doing in Wy, SD, NE, KS and OK?

Went up to see the eclipse and just stayed for a few days. S. Dakota was totally unexpected. What a beautiful state, or at least around Mt Rushmore. Lots of corn in Nebraska and Kansas - no trees. And a long way between towns. Must take a half a tank of gas just to get groceries.

Some areas around Houston had as much as 40 " of rain. One suburb called in Noah as a consultant.

I enjoy parts of South Dakota too. When it isn't in a dry cycle, that state can look like it is irrigated, it's so green.

lavacarancher said:

They're saying Port Arthur received over 50" All the news stations are covering Houston. We aren't getting a lot of coverage of outlying areas. Just getting posts thru facebook and such.

The whole darn county here is gathering up supplies. Semi loads. Socks, underwear, shirts, water, toiletries - you name it. Lots of ready meals too. Then there's a group loading up trailers with hay and sending hay. They're all saying the red cross has about a 90% administration cost so most everyone is buying and loading things on trailers themselves.

I've been really proud of my community. The Cajun Navy coming in was appreciated too. Those people are great.

We need to get to the outlying people. Many are still trapped and exhausting supplies. Glad you're okay lavacarancher. Insurance covering your damages?

Samaritans purse is a good one to Donate too. They are grass roots and are there from beginning to end

For those of you interested in donating specifically to ranch families, the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association has established the Cattle Raisers Relief Fund:

"One hundred percent of the funds received by TSCRF will be distributed to ranchers impacted by the hurricane and subsequent flooding."

Check out the link. You can either click to donate via credit card, or an address is provided for those who would rather mail a check.

http://tscra.org/relieffund/

I'm not personally in an area impacted by this disaster and have nothing to gain from your donations. Like many of the rest of you, I no longer give anything to the Red Cross, choosing the Salvation Army instead. But, in cases of hurricanes, wildfires, and other natural disasters that impact ranchers, I look for opportunities like this so that I can be sure my money is going to help people like me.

We went out Wednesday with my boat to try a little rescue work. We found several folks still in their homes by choice and did not need assistance. We carried water, food, some toiletries and a paramedic. One lady who stayed in her home met us with a hand gun. Turned out she was just trying to protect what she had left from looters (sorry SOB's). We were all packing at the request of the sheriffs dep't. We shifted our focus later in the day from rescue to law enforcement. I had three sheriffs deputies and one gent armed with an AR in my boat looking for a reported looter(s). We found them! They did not resist.

Even though we didn't do much rescue it sure made me feel better that we tried. Even the hole I knocked in the bottom of my boat is OK. (Fire hydrant got me)

Stay safe and in deep water. From the pictures on the news it looks really bad in Southeast Texas. I hope you got to use the looters as target practice.

lavacarancher said:
Just got home from a two weeker up to Wy, Sd, Ne, Ks an OK. Really glad to see Tx again. Praying for rain at the ranch and we got it - 25" worth and it's still raining. Eye went right over my place. Don't know how much damage yet. Got a oak tree thru my roof at home though. Tree folks are here right now cutting it off.
Talk about your prayers being answered. Stay safe and be careful. Did your Tilapia get away? Can't imagine that much rain and more.

Latest posts