• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

You know how grandparents are.......

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thanks all! I think he inherited my style of eating spaghetti. :lol:

Looking back in my own life, and even that of my grandparents, I've seen that grandparents can add much to the lives of grandchildren. It is a 'given' that parents can, but seems to me the importance of grandparents either is overlooked, or sure was by me. Maybe I didn't realize what I learned from mine until long after the fact.

Point: why do we grandparents seem to almost apologize for 'showing off' or 'bragging' about our grandkids???

And what an opportunity they give us. All we have to do is love them well, encourage them give a little direction in choosing the better path when needed, and enjoy the fun till it is time for them to go home....and if we are truly blessed, we can smile while the parents clean up the spilled spaghetti! Maybe reminding those parents on occasion of how much of a mess THEY made at that age.

Grandkids were, and still are fun, but the great-grands are even more so......

mrj

mrj said:
Looking back in my own life, and even that of my grandparents, I've seen that grandparents can add much to the lives of grandchildren. It is a 'given' that parents can, but seems to me the importance of grandparents either is overlooked, or sure was by me. Maybe I didn't realize what I learned from mine until long after the fact.

Point: why do we grandparents seem to almost apologize for 'showing off' or 'bragging' about our grandkids???

And what an opportunity they give us. All we have to do is love them well, encourage them give a little direction in choosing the better path when needed, and enjoy the fun till it is time for them to go home....and if we are truly blessed, we can smile while the parents clean up the spilled spaghetti! Maybe reminding those parents on occasion of how much of a mess THEY made at that age.

Grandkids were, and still are fun, but the great-grands are even more so......

mrj
Words of wisdom mrj. I hope we can step back and know when not to give direction as well. That's maybe the hard part.

Thanks Traveler. I did include the words "when needed" for a reason. And because what I learned helping raise several cousins before and after I got married, as well as raising our four, has distilled down to a 'less is more (valuable)' attitude toward 'rules' for little kids. They get so excited about all there is to touch and see that it is hard for them to remember too many 'rules' at very young ages. Small doses of correction (enough to keep them civilized, but still active, spirited, and inquisitive) work best for small kids, imo.

Thinking about little kids, what could be more fun than showing a two year old how to use 'bubble stuff'. We will be working on that next time they are here. Her five year old sister is now the expert, meaning she better remembers to keep the bottle upright while watching the bubbles float off on the breeze.......or tries to see how many she can pop before they explode on their own!

I took several bottles to a community gathering last summer, and even pre-teens had lots of fun, one sounding like a little old lady exclaiming "it's been YEARS since I saw this!!!" Bubble Stuff will be on my shopping list when going to the 'big city' tomorrow. Friday night suppers in the park at Midland should be starting soon.

mrj

Just links, because photos won't display for some reason.

Yes, the first ones a brat and a holy terror.
https://postimg.cc/VJXbd6zf

https://postimg.cc/SX303yz9

https://postimg.cc/KRz6GkrT

Latest posts