Ranchers.net Bull Session

bale decks

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

bale decks

Postby Hayguy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:36 pm

I see that some manufacturers are offering "pivot squeeze" and "parallel squeeze" options on their bale deck's. Does one style work better than the other? why?

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Re: bale decks

Postby Soapweed » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:00 pm

I think the "pivot squeeze" is most desirable, but this is just my opinion. With the pivot squeeze, the bale can turn more freely. With the parallel squeeze, the arm can come against the side of the bale which inhibits the bale rotation.

4Diamond

Postby 4Diamond » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:37 pm

Soapweed wrote:I think the "pivot squeeze" is most desirable, but this is just my opinion. With the pivot squeeze, the bale can turn more freely. With the parallel squeeze, the arm can come against the side of the bale which inhibits the bale rotation.

+1 IMO A pivot arm bed is much more versatile

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:05 pm

I agree with the pivot arms being handier. A belt driven pump is also a good idea. One company, with the leading pump tech, has switched from clamp to pivot arms. Not the brand I use, but there was a reason. I get along fine with same brand that is pictured on this forum regularly. Pivoting arms and a couple light chains will haul an ATV real easy.

4Diamond

Postby 4Diamond » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:32 am

I leave two nylon straps attached to my ATV all the time and slip those of the spinners and load mine daily, it's so much easier than using ramps or pulling a trailer.

PureCountry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PureCountry » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:45 pm

The old orange Jiffy handlers were/are still good that way, pivoting arms, rotate freely. Hope I can buy my Grandads' now that he's sold his cows at age 86. lol
There's 2 dates in time they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean.
But what's more important is the time that is known, as that little dash there in between.

www.purecountry.ca

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:45 pm

PureCountry wrote:The old orange Jiffy handlers were/are still good that way, pivoting arms, rotate freely. Hope I can buy my Grandads' now that he's sold his cows at age 86. lol

so far i have managed to collect 3 of them...only one mounted right now and it seem's to do the job well..it's electric over hydraulic and was pretty stiff in the cold until i put a couple of magnetic oil pan heaters on the tank,problem solved. the other 2 are belt drive pumps and are just waiting 'til i find some decent older trucks to mount them on.

was just wondering if the parallel squeeze ones were better at some thing's over the pivot ones

Thank-you all for the replies

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Drove by a trailer sales place and I thought it was a "Kroeger" bale handler.
Anybody have or seen these?

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Hayguy wrote:
PureCountry wrote:The old orange Jiffy handlers were/are still good that way, pivoting arms, rotate freely. Hope I can buy my Grandads' now that he's sold his cows at age 86. lol

so far i have managed to collect 3 of them...only one mounted right now and it seem's to do the job well..it's electric over hydraulic and was pretty stiff in the cold until i put a couple of magnetic oil pan heaters on the tank,problem solved. the other 2 are belt drive pumps and are just waiting 'til i find some decent older trucks to mount them on.

"was just wondering if the parallel squeeze ones were better at some thing's over the pivot ones"

Thank-you all for the replies

about the only thing I can think of is like a broken bale---you can grab the whole thing, not just the center. Maybe if a guy had wrapped bales---and left the spinner off?

Our first was an old dew ese---parallel===it did have down pressure to where you could change a tire or hoist yourself outa a badger hole---but we've gone to two hydrabeds and never looked back-----simple and outlast multiple pickups.

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:01 pm

the only thing i would like is extendable arm's, so that i could dump the bale into a feeder

the newer flat deck type are sure nice in that the bale handler doesn't tie up the deck of the truck or the goosenck hitch

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Drove by a trailer sales place and I thought it was a "Kroeger" bale handler.
Anybody have or seen these?

Guess it was Krogmann decks built in Kansas,
http://www.krogmannmfg.com/balebeds.html

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

James

Postby James » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:07 am

I have a Deweze 265 with the parallel arms love it, would like to find another one for a 2nd outfit.
Too soar with the eagles you have to get out of the turkey pen

Return to “Ranch Talk”