• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Overachieving Cow dogs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TMountainHigh

Reaction score
This is my first bull session post, as I am new to the site. So... I'll say a quick friendly "hello" to everyone :D

My significant other has a ranch in Arizona. The country is extremely rough. I swear there are more rocks than dirt. And cholla cactus is a constant enemy to be-wary of! :twisted: lol So we use our Hangin Tree cow dogs a lot to help us. These dogs really do work great. I've been very impressed by their dedication and working drive. In fact they are so dedicated to staying with their cows. That they often "lose us" when we cant keep up because of the rough terrain. I have to admit that the first time we lost the dogs and had to return home without them was shocking to me :shock: I was worried all night long despite hearing "they will be fine"! lol I've since learned that yes, the dogs were fine when we found them. In fact they have been known to be gone for 2 weeks and have been fine when found.

So my question here today is: Does anyone else lose their dogs like this? :???: What methods do you use to find them or prevent them from getting lost? I've been considering and looking at the gps trackers for the dogs. If anyone has used these and can tell me which ones work or don't work, that would be very helpful :) I would also appreciate any breed specific tips if you have them, please share them. I am just getting to know these wonderful cow dogs. lol...My personal dog is a 140 lb Boerboel... he doesn't get lost as easily! Thanks much if you can help :) Happy holidays too!!

Welcome to the site. When we had as many as 3 FEMALE stockdogs, they never went anywhere; whether we were home or not.
We had one female and one male later and they would not stay home. We gave one away and the male stayed home. That's not really what you were asking, though. We've never had dogs not stay with us when trailing or checking cattle. I don't blame you for worrying~2 weeks is a long time!

Thank you and thank you for the reply :) The parameters you mention are much more familiar to me as well. But not the case with these dogs. They will travel with us to start out, until they catch a scent or find some cows. Then they are on them until taken off. By that I mean they will try to hold them up on most occasions. But will stay with those cows no matter how long it takes or how far they go. If we cant locate them. We will check the waters for tracks and leave dog food if they've been there. Or tie a tshirt there with our scent on it so the dogs can find it and hopefully stick there long enough to find them. Sometimes a friend will call saying they've been seen in a certain area that helps too. I appreciate knowing that you'd be worried too :) 2 days seems a long time to me... 2 weeks feels insane! But I seem to be the only one worried around here... :???: lol. I thought maybe a gps tracker could help ALL parties involved and it would make a great xmas gift as well ;) But there are so many out there to pick from. I was hoping to get some feedback from those who have hands on experience under similar conditions. Not just what works for locating a fluffy kitty cat 3 blocks away in NYC. Which is mostly the type reviews I've read so far. Plus the fact: The one I present needs to be applicable the first time to gain any credibility and persuade a stubborn cowboy to actually use it! lol Hopefully someone will see this and i will keep checking back just in case they are kind enough to help me out. :help: My search continues... wish me luck ;) lol

Tri-tronics/Garmin is what my bird dog friend uses. Tri tronics was the best in dog shock collars and Garmin was a GPS company and bought out Tri-Tronics. I use just a shock collar on my dogs and usually just the tone so I can get their attention to send them a different direction or if they are working a little hard to let them know to slow down.

Our dog is a full fledged democrat he sleeps in the house never fills the woodstove, expects food on demand and attention on demand. Sleeps all the time, works none of the time but he is hell on a tennis ball. You never have to worry about where he is because he's under foot. But to his defense he's never in the way while working cattle. Soapweed would even tolerate this democrat..

We have a Garmin tracking collar and it is great. I don't I'd go with the combo electric collar/tracking collar. I hear they are pretty complicated and if you don't need the e-collar it's just more money. I think it would be a great Christmas present (for both of you!)

Nicky said:
We have a Garmin tracking collar and it is great. I don't I'd go with the combo electric collar/tracking collar. I hear they are pretty complicated and if you don't need the e-collar it's just more money. I think it would be a great Christmas present (for both of you!)

Listen to Nicky, the voice of experience. :D :cowboy: :nod:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Nicky said:

Wow, I don't hear that very often!!!

Nicky said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Nicky said:

Wow, I don't hear that very often!!!

If ya got it, flaunt it. :D

Flying S has had a few dogs that have taken a few days to get back home, but usually that's when the weather was hot. I have a half HanginTree, that won't quit unless you physically restrain her!

Dogs should not be introduced to stock before down and come back have been deeply instilled in them. The last thing I want is my dogs running wild on the range. Straight bullshit.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions & the chuckles they gave me too ! I really appreciate them :) I've looked at the Garmin & like it. But it's a bit out of my price range. I'm thinking about trying out a Marco Polo Tracker. It's about $300 dollars less & has a great battery life of 30 days approx. And a 2mile radius for locating the dog. If anyone had tried this unit please let me know. If not, then I'll post my review here when I get it. ( its a late xmas gift! ) Just incase it can help someone else too. I'm sad to say we never found the last 3 dogs. I'm going to make certain this doesn't happen again by doing all I can to help the pups they left behind. We have 10 of them! Lol. Thanks again everyone :)

LazyWP said:
Flying S has had a few dogs that have taken a few days to get back home, but usually that's when the weather was hot. I have a half HanginTree, that won't quit unless you physically restrain her!

These dogs are HanginTree bred on both sides. I've never seen dogs that work like these do! You are right they just don't quit! Thanks for telling me about yours. :agree:

gcreekrch said:
Dogs should not be introduced to stock before down and come back have been deeply instilled in them. The last thing I want is my dogs running wild on the range. Straight BS.

I wasn't there personally at the onset of these particular adult dogs training. So I really can't speak to it. But I have always loved my own personal dogs & they've always been well trained too. Ive never lost one before. In fact I would have felt that same way you do.... Before knowing these dogs. But The HanginTree dogs are a complete new experience for me. They have a drive to work that's incredible. I'm here trying figure out ways to help them to do the job they already know how to do- but just do it safely. I doubt any of us here, on this site, are fond of dogs running loose on the range. I'm reaching out to folks here for suggestions to hopefully help prevent that from happening. Plus hopefully I can gain some insight into this breed/line of dog from other owners. Thanks for your comment & I do respect the right your own opinion. So I will just wish for you to have a Happy New Year! :)

"Stay" and "Back" are the first things Mr. FH teaches his dogs. He starts teaching them that when he leaves the house and they want to follow him as puppies. When they are older and gathering cattle, he can almost whisper, to me for instance, "those dogs better come back here" and they hear him and come back. We are talking all 3 dogs. So I know it can be done, especially when they are taught that at a very early age. He just claps his hands when they try to follow him as pups, and chases them back to the porch and then says for them to 'stay'. Doesn't take long and it's not very scientific. :D But it works for him. He loves dogs and they love him. And they mind. He can call them off chasing a deer or a rabbit. They just shut right down and come to him. But they were always his pups and weren't started by anyone else.

Good luck, TMountainHigh. Be sure to check back and let us know how the new pups are coming along.

TMountainHigh said:
LazyWP said:

These dogs are HanginTree bred on both sides. I've never seen dogs that work like these do! You are right they just don't quit! Thanks for telling me about yours. :agree:

I have been using my Hangin Tree/ Border Collie female while processing cattle. She can work a Bud Box about as well as a person, takes cattle back to their pen on her own, and MOST of the time can gather a pen of cattle out of the feedlot. Every now and then I have to screw her ear in then back out to get her attention. She likes to work the head more then I prefer, but if you walk away, she will bring everything to you. I am still learning that she is a gatherer, not a pusher!!

Down, stay and here are the first things I teach a dog. Then it's on to working cattle. I use blue heeler and have had great luck with them. The only time I have lost a dog was a time I was gathering heifers up that pushed through a fence in a snowstorm and were then in with the bulls. Our country is canyon country and got to riding hard, found the heifers and low and behold no dog. Drove them home, asked the wife if the dog had come home, nope. Didn't know what to do, she had never done this before. Went out to do evening chores at about dark, looked to the south and here came the bulls, with a dog bringing up the rear. She brought them home and penned them. I guess I was just glad she came home. I haven't lost her since. And she hasn't gone off to work on her own since either unless I send her out.

Good dog story, Canyonrider. Good dog. We too, use blue heelers. But our best dog, not sure what she was, some people near Dillon, Mt raised them and they were known as 'Birrer's Dogs.' They were yellow, with a white ring around their neck and were naturally bob-tailed. She was one tough dog.

Do you find female blue heelers are better than the males? We always used females.

Latest posts