• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse Color

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PureCountry

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'd like some input from others as to what I could expect for foal colors from my bay roan stud, breeding him to grey, blue roan and grullo mares. The greys I think have a 50% chance of throwing another grey, but otherwise should throw grullos and roans, correct?

He's been bred to blues, grullos and buckskins before and thrown about one third each of blue roans, bay roans and grullos. Just never had him bred to a grey before. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Faster horses said:
I heard a wise horseman one time tell a breeder of 'colored horses'..."the only thing that sells better than color is quality"....FWIW...:)

Reminds of something my grandpa (also a widely respected horseman) used to say: "A good horse is never a bad colour"

PureCountry said:
Hi Folks, I'd like some input from others as to what I could expect for foal colors from my bay roan stud, breeding him to grey, blue roan and grullo mares. The greys I think have a 50% chance of throwing another grey, but otherwise should throw grullos and roans, correct?

He's been bred to blues, grullos and buckskins before and thrown about one third each of blue roans, bay roans and grullos. Just never had him bred to a grey before. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Unless he's homozygous for the Agouti, Black (E) and Roan genes, or the mares are, you can get not only the grullos and roans you mentioned, but also black (if neither the stud nor the individual mare is homozygous for Agouti) and sorrel. And, of course, those mares that are dilute (palomino or buckskin) under the gray can throw dilute babies, as well.

Latest posts