• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Young Horses Harder To Train, Study Finds

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Young Horses Harder To Train, Study Finds
ScienceDaily (Aug. 19, 2008) — Young horses may be easier to train if they temporarily lay off the sweets, says a Montana State University study where two-year-olds wore pedometers, wrist watches and Ace bandages.

A commercial mixture of corn, oats, barley and molasses -- sometimes called "sweet grain" or "sweet feed" -- gives horses the glossy coat and lively spirit that makes them attractive to prospective buyers, said Jan Bowman, an animal nutritionist at MSU.

But the extra energy provided by sweet grain during the early stages of training made the horses in MSU's study more disobedient and fearful than horses that only ate hay, Bowman said. The grain-eaters spent more time resisting the saddle. They startled easier. They bucked and ran more during training.

Early training, which usually lasts about 30 days, gives young horses the foundation they need for more advanced training, Bowman said. They learn to move sideways on command, for example. They learn how to move their front or hind feet in any direction.

"Results suggest that trainers under time constraints could increase their training effectiveness during the early stages of training by not feeding excess dietary energy," Wade Black wrote in a paper that will be submitted later this year to the "Journal of Animal Science."

Black -- a horse trainer, instructor for the MSU Colt Starting class and one of Bowman's graduate students -- came up with the idea for the study when he was an undergraduate in her equine nutrition class, Bowman said. She and Black then conducted experiments during the summer of 2007. Black presented their findings to the American Society of Animal Science in June this year. He is still analyzing some of the data to see how the grain affected the horses' adrenaline during training.

The study involved 12 closely-related quarter horses that came from one Idaho ranch, Bowman said. Black trained the horses for three weeks, five days a week at MSU's Miller Livestock Pavilion. Half the horses ate only hay. The hay was a mixture of grass and alfalfa. The other horses ate five pounds of sweet grain a day in addition to the hay. Both groups ate as much hay and drank as much water as they wanted.

Each horse wore a pedometer adjusted to its stride and attached with an Ace bandage to its left front leg above the knee, Bowman said. Each horse also had a combination wristwatch-heart monitor hanging from its saddle. The watch displayed minimum, maximum and mean heart rates detected by an electrode belt.

Black trained the animals for 30 or 40 minutes a day without knowing which animal had eaten grain and which one hadn't, Bowman said. She and Black then recorded heart rates and the number of steps the horses took during training. They scored behaviors like obedience, get-up-and-go and separation anxiety.

Horses that ate both grain and hay became more upset when they were separated from the herd, Bowman said. They whinnied more and were livelier and less submissive than the horses that ate only hay.

The study doesn't mean that trainers should keep grain away from horses forever, Bowman said. They might consider withholding it just during the early weeks of training.

"We don't want to give the impression that you should starve them in order to enhance their good behavior," Bowman said. "That's not the point of it."

Wade wrote in his paper that, "Horses, being ridden by less experienced riders, need to be calm and easy to handle, characteristics that may be enhanced by more effective early training."

Bowman noted that all of the horses in MSU's study gained weight during the study. It didn't matter if they ate hay alone or hay with grain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adapted from materials provided by Montana State University.
Email or share this story:

Yeah,thats a pretty well know fact around horse folks,matter of fact they can get pretty broncy on to much hay if the protein is high.
good luck

May not be the right way but i dont take away the grain when I start them....I feed the same all the time. I figure if going to act up because feelin their grain-lets get it over with and out of their system.That way I am kinda expecting it and ready for it...most of the time :D ...key word is most :D :D

tta stockdogs said:
May not be the right way but i dont take away the grain when I start them....I feed the same all the time. I figure if going to act up because feelin their grain-lets get it over with and out of their system.That way I am kinda expecting it and ready for it...most of the time :D ...key word is most :D :D

I havent been,but gonna start,bout tired of this crow hoppin :mad:
good luck

tta stockdogs said:

Horses do not need grain. Unless you have a hard using horse that you need in top shape, but the key is to be using them hard when you grain them. Like race horses, rodeo horses and etc, but the regular ranch horse doesn't need it. I like to grain a half a coffee can of whole oats after I ride for a treat. If you grain young colts, they will grow to fast for their growth plates to keep up. So you do them more harm than good.

Alfalfa hay is another bad one. Need to keep them on a good grass hay with maybe just a mix of alfalfa. Just my opinion.

Very rarely ever grain a horse unless they are working hard. 30 to 60 minutes riding isn't hard work in my books.
The only reason to grain a young horse is to make them grow faster and make them more "saleable". Hard feeding can lead to other complications.

gcreekrch said:
Very rarely ever grain a horse unless they are working hard. 30 to 60 minutes riding isn't hard work in my books.
The only reason to grain a young horse is to make them grow faster and make them more "saleable". Hard feeding can lead to other complications.

I agree on the short amount of riding. Horse in training like that I listed need the extra energy even if they are only riding them short times as they are usually in shape and at their peak. To keep that peak grain helps.

I'd have to agree! Way to many folks overfeed and under-use. Competition horses going down the highway may need some extra but ranch horses and colts need good grass hay. Everytime a horse bogs his head and goes to buckin' my late Uncle Bernell would always say "He's just feelin' his oats!" When i start colts i like them healthy but not fat. And just like fancy feedlot bulls, a lot of too-fat stand around horses melt when ya need em'. I've had folks from town go with us movin' cows and 4 hours into the day they are trailer bound! :wink: Now that i realize that Gcreek and I are thinkin' alike, maybe i'd better re-think my opinion! :D

That's a funny deal,i wonder if i can get paid to run a study on the obvious.If you feed good hay,you don't generally have to worry about grain i'm feeding a really good orchard grass with a small amount of alfalfa.I give grain during heavy use months if they need a little extra energy for the day or the hay you're feeding does'nt have good nutritional value,which i learned long ago not to buy or put up.if it's real cold i have no problem with giving a scoop or two of grain,that rarely happens though.I prefer oats over sweet cobb.And as far as the colt being a little hot from the grain,i feel that more out of feeding out alfalfa,and i like to be able to have and direct that extra energy anyway.If the colt is'nt jumping over the rail of the arena or round pen,the forward impulsion is nice to have,when you need to direct the colt and go somewhere.If you're riding a performance horse you of course would want a performance ration.

I've been through the cutting horse mill once. Yes, performance horses do need some extra in order to do their utmost when showing.
BUT. There were a lot more and probably better all around cow horses back when that never saw grain or hay in their lives. I have the fortune to know an old time horseman that is 92 this year and have had a lot of discussions about horses with him. I hope I never have to ride something that took 20-30 miles at a lope and high trot just to get him wore down enough that you could do a days work when you got where you were going. Those horses stayed in shape as they basically ran wild until they were needed and didn't work but one day out of 5 to 7.

Thank God I missed the 1880's. :wink:

Well I got a young green quarter horse,that i been giving free choice costal,simply because i use round bales and he got a coffe can of purina horse and mule every morning because I use purina free choice granular mineral.........hay would probaly test 12% and i think the feed is 11,anyway I left him on pasture in south Tx,see how he acts when I get back down there,without havin hay and sweet feed for a few days...........good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Well I got a young green quarter horse,that i been giving free choice costal,simply because i use round bales and he got a coffe can of purina horse and mule every morning because I use purina free choice granular mineral.........hay would probaly test 12% and i think the feed is 11,anyway I left him on pasture in south Tx,see how he acts when I get back down there,without havin hay and sweet feed for a few days...........good luck

You keep feedin' that mule feed and that horse may start braying. :D

gcreekrch said:
HAY MAKER said:

You keep feedin' that mule feed and that horse may start braying. :D

I would'nt doubt it,he's as stubborn as a mule and kinda looks like one,matter of fact I been callin him my ole gray mule.
good luck

well in defense of my gray mule he is a 3 year old,never been handled much,I believe he will come along,he will see lots of wet blankets this year,make up my mind about him this fall.
good luck

The best /toughest horse I've owned I had from the time he was 4 until he was 22 when I put him down. He was ridden steady until the age of 17 and bucked a little every morning just to see if I was awake. He never quit me and never shirked from anything I asked him to do.

I had him pre-4 wheeler days so he saw a lot of wet blankets. Could catch him anywhere and lead him to the barn by his mane. Doubt if he ate 50 lbs of grain in his lifetime.

If one feels they need more than hay maybe try putting some cooking oil on their hay. Not deep fry oil. They may not like it at first. If you don't like it then maybe try oil on a small amount of pellets. If one supplements with powder minerals the oil may make it more paletable. The oil is high in fat but not sugar like sweet feed.

One cup of oil/1000#.

I fed alfalfa to lactating mares. Didn't feel the rest of needed all that protein.

Latest posts