Ranchers.net Bull Session

Beginner Interested In cattle

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
bfields32

Beginner Interested In cattle

Postby bfields32 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi I’m 23 I’m interested in purchasing cattle I’m interested in Brahman and angus or hereford I live in east tx Winnsboro tx to be exact just want to know the do ands donts of starting off in the cattle world. And any advice that can be given to me from anyone on this site . Just trying to figuring out where to start off i have 50 acres and have 4-5 pastures a lot of roaming. Trying to figure how many cattle to start off with since I am new to this when is the best time to buy cattle should I buy bred cows , bred heifers or cows with pairs any knowledge would help if any one is in my area or close east tx would like to see if i could come see how your operation works.

DaneG

Re: Beginner Interested In cattle

Postby DaneG » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:57 pm

A good start would be to read and understand the articles on this web site http://www.beefmagazine.com/strategic-planning-ranch by Burke Teichert there are quiet a few going back to 2012. Start with the oldest article first would be a good idea.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Looking through back threads here on ranchers might answer some of your question. Lots of good info and a little nonsense. :D :D

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:53 am

If I had 50 acres in east tx, I'd use it to put together odd lots (cheaper) and sell matching truckloads on superior.

LCP

Postby LCP » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:44 pm

DaneG wrote:A good start would be to read and understand the articles on this web site http://www.beefmagazine.com/strategic-planning-ranch by Burke Teichert there are quiet a few going back to 2012. Start with the oldest article first would be a good idea.

:agree:

I'd also look into Akaushi cattle. Quite a few breeders in Texas. It might be a way to add value. I bought some bulls last spring to use as a terminal cross on Angus cows. We'll see next fall how I get along.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:37 am

You might want to sit out the next couple dances and just work for/with a neighbor that has some scars. That whole buy low sell high thing - we're overbuilding the herd because of unnaturally cheap corn. A little more herd expansion and a hiccup in corn production, and you'll see plenty cheap cows.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:20 am

Brad S wrote:You might want to sit out the next couple dances and just work for/with a neighbor that has some scars. That whole buy low sell high thing - we're overbuilding the herd because of unnaturally cheap corn. A little more herd expansion and a hiccup in corn production, and you'll see plenty cheap cows.

around here the cows are plenty cheap already. 40 to 50 kill cows and $900 to $1400 breds with a few special groups bringing more money but last week you could have laid in a herd at the bred cow sale for under $900 average..
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

bfields32

Postby bfields32 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 am

With the 50 acres i have what would be a good amount to start with maybe 3-5 bred momma cows. when is the best time of year to buy in the spring is that the best time?

cow pollinater

Postby cow pollinater » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:27 pm

I would look at buying older bred cows about a month from now. Calve them out and haul everything back to the sale in the fall. Just don't fall in love with any of them and think you need to keep them. That won't work in all markets but bred cows are cheap enough right now you should be able to make a nice paycheck and cows don't get old by not doing their job. I made quite a bit of money doing this but you have to be a little careful when the market is good.

Return to “Ranch Talk”