Ranchers.net Bull Session

Bloodhound

Stories and questions about our best friends.
C-E

Bloodhound

Postby C-E » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:26 am

Just taking a shot in the dark here but we are looking for a bloodhound pup. Just thought I would see if anyone on here happened to know a breeder. The closer to Kansas the better.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:36 am

Soapweed's son, Kosmo Kid, has one. They are in Nebraska.
You might ask where they got that one.

Good luck!
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

C-E

Postby C-E » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:28 am

Yeah I was kinda hoping Soap would see this. :wink:

Kosmo

Postby Kosmo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Hello C-E,

I got my bloodhound, Archimedes, from skyranchbloodhounds.com. They were very nice people and are located at Seward, Nebraska which would be fairly close to the Kansas border.

I love my dog to death but I must warn you that bloodhounds are one of the hardest to train animals in the world. Archimedes, contrary to his name, makes up for a severe deficiency in intellectual capacity with his very loveable personality. I always dreamed of owning a bloodhound in my youth so I decided to make that a reality as soon as I was done with college. He is a great companion but if I were given the choice to do it over again, I would have chosen another breed... Bloodhounds are very high-maintenance and I have a lot more money tied in to this dog then I care to divulge.

Anyway, I do not want to rain on your parade. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I let you get a bloodhound on the pretense that they are the perfect dog.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Kosmo wrote:Hello C-E,

I got my bloodhound, Archimedes, from skyranchbloodhounds.com. They were very nice people and are located at Seward, Nebraska which would be fairly close to the Kansas border.

I love my dog to death but I must warn you that bloodhounds are one of the hardest to train animals in the world. Archimedes, contrary to his name, makes up for a severe deficiency in intellectual capacity with his very loveable personality. I always dreamed of owning a bloodhound in my youth so I decided to make that a reality as soon as I was done with college. He is a great companion but if I were given the choice to do it over again, I would have chosen another breed... Bloodhounds are very high-maintenance and I have a lot more money tied in to this dog then I care to divulge.

Anyway, I do not want to rain on your parade. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I let you get a bloodhound on the pretense that they are the perfect dog.

Well said. :wink:

C-E

Postby C-E » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Kosmo, thank you for your reply. I am under no allusions of bloodhounds being the perfect dog. I have spent the last year studying up on the breed. I have also been in touch with the local police chief, who used to be a dog trainer with the USAF, about doing mantrailing. However as long as the dog can learn not to relieve himself on the carpet I will be satisfied.

I just found the skyranch website yesterday and sent them an email and am waiting for their reply. I also found Haught Hounds out of Alliance, NE and really like their dogs. They have a litter coming this month.

Anyway thanks again for your reply and your words of warning. If you have any other tips, warnings, or war stories about your bloodhound experience I would love to hear more.

nmhighdesert

Postby nmhighdesert » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Soapweed wrote:
Kosmo wrote:Hello C-E,

Well said. :wink:

WOW, very tactfully said......... :lol: And to the segundo to the right hand too.......(that means second to Peach) :)

Return to “Horses & Dogs”