Ranchers.net Bull Session

All Around Stock/Varmint/Protection Dog

Stories and questions about our best friends.
mytfarms

All Around Stock/Varmint/Protection Dog

Postby mytfarms » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi folks,

We love our first dog, she's a nice small pup with lots of energy but good manners and easy going around my Mrs and family. She's a mini Aussie x Blue heeler.

She's doing a good job letting us know when strangers are about, but we have a little one on the way, and Colorado legal AND illicit drug trades are booming. I think I'm appropriately concerned about leaving wife and child at home alone during the work week, even with her being comfortable and accurate with a gun.

I'd like to invest in 1 or 2 pups this summer that will be perhaps a little less friendly and aggressive to trespassers but ones that I can trust around my family. Ideally they'd be smart enough to learn the ways of cattle and coyotes for use on the ranch as I'll have more time to dedicate to training this fall. I'm looking at mountain curs, any other suggestions and/or experience?

Thanks.
Short grass, short cows, short life. But I'm in tall cotton.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: All Around Stock/Varmint/Protection Dog

Postby Faster horses » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 pm

We had a cur dog that was the best, but I don't know much about Mountain curs. Could you show a picture because I am curious.
She was a super cow dog, super watch dog, but a little too aggressive with people, in other words, she wasn't above biting someone
and that's a whole other can of worms. We found out that you should never put a "Beware of Dog" sign out, that means you know you are harboring a vicious animal. Insurance frowns on that, so be careful.

I hope you can post a picture of a Mountain cur. I would love to see one and see if it is anything like our good dog, Zip.

I think I would like an Idaho Shag mixed with something....like blue heeler....
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

mytfarms

Postby mytfarms » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:38 pm

Hey FH, thank you. That's probably one notch too aggressive I guess, but I will keep looking around. Here's an easy link with photos and breed info.

http://www.ucadogs.com/Breed_Info_Mountain_Cur.htm
Short grass, short cows, short life. But I'm in tall cotton.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:37 pm

George will be a good source of info re. good guard dogs for people, I'm sure. Betting he will have some good ideas of what to look for in such a dog, as well as for training, etc.

Sure do sympathize with you living in an area that sounds like it's getting to be a dicey place to live due to deterioration of quality of people coming to the area. We still are awfully blessed in the general safety of 'country living', excepting for rattle snakes.

OTH, maybe it's the rattlers which keep some people away!

mrj

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 pm

I have since checked out Idaho Shags. That might be a dog to check out. Let me know if you need the name of a breeder. I think I can help.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Return to “Horses & Dogs”