Ranchers.net Bull Session

2017 U.S. Beef Exports Never Better ...

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Re: 2017 U.S. Beef Exports Never Better ...

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:28 am

redrobin wrote:What study or knowledge do you refer to that says it takes twice as many dollars for a pound of fat. I'm interested.

I thought that was common knowledge. Dr. Lisa Kriese-Anderson at Auburn used to beat this into our heads at every Beef Cattle Improvement Association Meeting & Workshop..

Here's a quick google reference:

Productivity pillar: The goal here is to increase production efficiency by 15 per cent. Fat is added to an animal at a cost of feed roughly 2.5 times that of adding muscle. To make the math simple, if we use a feed efficiency of 5:1 for muscle (12.5:1 for fat), this additional 62.6 million pounds of fat equates to 391,000 tons of grain. It also results in a tremendous amount of both more manure and greenhouse gas. For both industry efficiency and industry sustainability, excess fat is a huge problem.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

redrobin
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redrobin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 pm

So a 4 frame fat calf sucking a 3 frame cow grazing native grass in the summer is necessarily less efficient in dollars than a 7 frame Holstein that's been fed hard all his life because the Holstein has less fat?. Fuzzy math. Some animals fatten cheaper than others.

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:20 pm

All I'm saying is the premiums for better yield grades is not nearly enough. There's not a high correlation between backfat/kidney fat and marbling.

Not understanding your analogy.

redrobin
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redrobin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:41 am

Mike wrote:All I'm saying is the premiums for better yield grades is not nearly enough. There's not a high correlation between backfat/kidney fat and marbling.

how much does it cost to produce a pound of bone?

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am

redrobin wrote:
Mike wrote:All I'm saying is the premiums for better yield grades is not nearly enough. There's not a high correlation between backfat/kidney fat and marbling.

how much does it cost to produce a pound of bone?

I have no idea. But probably it's not something we can change with management. I'll bet Dan Dorn at Decatur County Feedyard would know.

They have a very sophisticated program that runs each calf through the chute on arrival with an x-ray, ultrasound, and body measurements, among other analysis. They run an algorithm that predicts with high accuracy the finish weight, the finish date, how much the feed will cost, how much backfat, (and/or yield grade) carcass weight, profit or loss, etc., etc, About the only thing they can't predict is tenderness.

When you send a load of calves they don't all finish at the same time. Decatur picks them one at the time when they are ripe to go to slaughter. You simply don't waste a lot of money on overfeeding and waste fat.

By the way. That's what feedlots do. They sell feed.

Let me know about that bone thing....................

redrobin
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redrobin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Lol you don't say...

Return to “Ranch Talk”