Ranchers.net Bull Session

Cow ?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
VB RANCH

Cow ?

Postby VB RANCH » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 am

2nd calver
calved in rain
about 40 degrees
calf no suck
blame the cow
or the rain
or both ?

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Cow ?

Postby Faster horses » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 am

How vigorous are the rest of your calves at birth?
Was this a bigger than normal calf? She may have had a longer time calving it and therefore it is just slow.
Hopefully it will come around, given some time and some colostrum or even milk. We used to use canned milk,
although I KNOW that colostrum is what the calf needs. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck!
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

VB RANCH

Postby VB RANCH » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:35 am

Calves all getting up good
average calf
put calf in a otter sled
went most of 3/4 mile
cow was hooked right on talkin
the whole way
that cold rain is a bad thing
with a young cow

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:11 am

the cow delivered a LIVE calf...the rest is up to you,ie enough shelter,hot box if cold and wet out,making sure calf gets colostrum,etc

4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 4Diamond » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:26 am

One way or another if she's not gonna wean you a calf she better be gone or she would be here anyway.

WB

Postby WB » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 am

Cold rain can chill a calf faster than you may realize. The smaller the calf the faster they become hypothermic. Likely no fault of the cow or calf or the feeding program.

VB RANCH

Postby VB RANCH » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:18 pm

WB wrote:Cold rain can chill a calf faster than you may realize. The smaller the calf the faster they become hypothermic. Likely no fault of the cow or calf or the feeding program.

I'd rather it snow
then to have a cold rain
took her to the barn
then every thing got better
I think and old cow could have
got it done tho
hate going to the barn
gotta do what you gotta do

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Faster horses wrote:How vigorous are the rest of your calves at birth?
Was this a bigger than normal calf? She may have had a longer time calving it and therefore it is just slow.
Hopefully it will come around, given some time and some colostrum or even milk. We used to use canned milk,
although I KNOW that colostrum is what the calf needs. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck!

Neat to have a couple thermos's of hot water and some canned cow along.

Feed the little dude, put him under the heater for a while.

Neighbors used to get a kick outa my wife using a Cadillac to check cows.
She didn't back down atall.
"Field is smooth, easier for me to drag a calf in, leather wipes off easy, worth way less than good pickup, good gas mileage, nice tunes, great heater, lotsa room...."

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:27 pm

littlejoe wrote:
Faster horses wrote:How vigorous are the rest of your calves at birth?

Good luck!

Neat to have a couple thermos's of hot water and some canned cow along.

Feed the little dude, put him under the heater for a while.

Neighbors used to get a kick outa my wife using a Cadillac to check cows.
She didn't back down atall.
"Field is smooth, easier for me to drag a calf in, leather wipes off easy, worth way less than good pickup, good gas mileage, nice tunes, great heater, lotsa room...."

now there's an idear...we had a hay customer that would push a round bale around his horse pasture with his Cadillac every morning on his way to work

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:55 am

Hayguy if you had the right Caddy you could just put your Tracker in the trunk for a spare.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Moisture most any way it comes is welcome in my part of "The Great American Desert", yet if the snow is too dry and it is too cold for little calves, its worth is debatable. Same for what otherwise would be a great rain if it were just a few degrees warmer while we are calving. Wish it were practical here to calve later, but the grass goes to heck in a hurry if it is too hot and dry in spring and early summer. So sort of damned if it does and darned if it doesn't!

So far, it is looking pretty good. Grass has grown quite a lot for so early and cool as nights have been. Moisture is decent, with .96 by 8:AM this morning, and setting in with a good strong mist now. Was about 48% earlier, and dropped down a couple degrees lately. Miserable for those riding to check on new-borns! We calve in pastures, so given our largely gumbo soils, horses or ATV is the 'ride' for this day. The 'elder' cowboy here isn't minding bookwork as much as on a pretty day! Everyone else on the place gets pretty upset if he rides when conditions are favorable for accidents! And he isn't fighting them so much on it since he broke a bunch of ribs on a dry, PRETTY day last fall. Can't believe how fast he healed up from that one, and thankful for it, so he is behaving better since then. I think this rain has put us close to 3" for the year to date. Not sure what was in our 6"-8" snow a while back and haven't heard if anyone measured rain content.

mrj

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:30 pm

WB wrote:Cold rain can chill a calf faster than you may realize. The smaller the calf the faster they become hypothermic. Likely no fault of the cow or calf or the feeding program.

BINGO! Keep a rectal thermometer in the truck. When a calf's body temp gets below 90-95 degrees, something must be done quick.
(I put them on the floorboard of the truck with the heater on high...................)

A cold, windy rain is much worse than a dry 10-15 degree night, even with snow on the ground.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Return to “Ranch Talk”