Ranchers.net Bull Session

automatic or standard

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: automatic or standard

Postby Faster horses » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:18 am

That could be, as ours is 2016. They were talking about this at Mr. FH birthday party and it was the conscencus. They could have been talking about ones older than 2017. It's good they have them installed at the factory now. Before that, Mr. FH always added them because he maintained they have figured out how to make them go fast, but not how to slow them down. We take our travel trailer off the Big Horn Mountains and he wouldn't be without the exhaust brake. It's steep coming down.

Come to think of it the comments were from guys who have both newer Dodge and Ford. I'll have to find out if they are both
2018's. Now I am curious.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:37 pm

I wonder if Dodge ever figured out to let the exhaust brake work at lower speeds. My 2010 it automatically cut out at somewhere around 25 mph, it was very frustrating.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Our 2010 did that same thing. The 2016 is much better, but Mr. FH says it still could be improved on.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

lavacarancher

Postby lavacarancher » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:24 am

I suppose they all have their good and bad points but for me the only automatic for pulling is the Allison. I'm on my second Duramax/Allison and I'm well pleased. First one went a little over 300K with -0- problems with the transmission - none, nada, nothing. Of course I changed the fluid and filter every 50K. I don't know any owner of a Dodge or Ford that can say the same. The perfect truck would be a Ford chassis, Cummins engine with Allison transmission. JMO

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:24 am

lavacarancher wrote:I suppose they all have their good and bad points but for me the only automatic for pulling is the Allison. I'm on my second Duramax/Allison and I'm well pleased. First one went a little over 300K with -0- problems with the transmission - none, nada, nothing. Of course I changed the fluid and filter every 50K. I don't know any owner of a Dodge or Ford that can say the same. The perfect truck would be a Ford chassis, Cummins engine with Allison transmission. JMO

like I said, and still running and over 400,000 miles
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:16 am

lavacarancher wrote:I suppose they all have their good and bad points but for me the only automatic for pulling is the Allison. I'm on my second Duramax/Allison and I'm well pleased. First one went a little over 300K with -0- problems with the transmission - none, nada, nothing. Of course I changed the fluid and filter every 50K. I don't know any owner of a Dodge or Ford that can say the same. The perfect truck would be a Ford chassis, Cummins engine with Allison transmission. JMO

friend has a 03 ford 6.0 diesel 330000 miles original trans and he's hard on it
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:31 pm

I know a few Ford owners that the 6.0 diesel turned them into Dodge or GM owners
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:22 pm

jodywy wrote:

I know a few Ford owners that the 6.0 diesel turned them into Dodge or GM owners

way more than just a few

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:15 pm

Hayguy wrote:
jodywy wrote:

way more than just a few

That's true, some of us did turn into Dodge or GM owners. But some of us learned our lesson and went back :cowboy:

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:24 pm

That's true, some of us did turn into Dodge or GM owners. But some of us learned our lesson and went back :cowboy:

but you did not get another 6.0 :lol:

Broke Cowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Broke Cowboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Standard transmissions - love them.

Park them in the yard and leave the keys in the ignition - it is a millennial anti theft device in its own right.

Best to all
Tell The Bank To Get Stuffed

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:37 am

I used to love the standard transmission, spent enough years driving an 18 speed that they lost their appeal. Now it's nice to just put it in D and go. Use the manual shift as required. It's like a day off.

Return to “Ranch Talk”