Ranchers.net Bull Session

Kosmo Kid's "Letter to his Daughter"

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:36 pm

Faster horses wrote:Thanks for sharing this letter. It was important to me to read it.
With your permission, I would like to email it to some friends.

It is things like this heart-felt letter that make this site so interesting.

You may certainly use the letter if you would like, Faster Horses. My dad printed it in his "Friends and Fancies" column a couple months ago for the local papers, and it seemed to draw quite a bit of response. I thought with kids going off to college and coming up against various temptations, it might be an appropriate time to post the letter.

Thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts. You are all "family" and we appreciate your words of encouragement. Even though it seems to us that Tiffany is ruining her own life, we have decided that there is no reason the situation has to bog us down. We will just roll with the punches and carry on to the best of our abilities.

Sundancer

Postby Sundancer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:48 pm

Situations like this are so very difficult to understand and get a grip on. What a blessing for you ( and us) that you have turned this situation over to the Lord and are waiting on Him. I'm sure even though the days of waiting are often wearisome and troubling, God has given you a measure of peace as well. What an impressive piece written by a young man.....surely a growing experience as well as a testimony to the grace that he has experienced in his life. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. After reading the letter tonight, I share your burden. May God continue to wrap His arms of comfort around you all.

Jassy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jassy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:36 pm

When I first started reading this post on the assignment that Kosmos had to do...I thought ok...what's a teenage boy gonna write? Well I must say that blew me away! I don't think that some adults quite have that much understanding of life let alone a teenager. I'm sad that you have to go through this, but you have a wonderful family, and though it's not a good situation, I'm sure it's made you all stronger. I do believe that your daughter will come back to you someday, and when she see that self portrait hanging in your house, she'll know that you were always thinking of her. Thanks so much for sharing this...
"When you get bucked off, the easiest way to explain it is to say you dropped your hat and got off in a hurry to get it.."

Jassy

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:04 pm

Beautiful letter!!!! Very heart wrenching situation. Know that you all are in our prayers. I've thought of you often with this situation, and prayed each time I thought of you, for your daughters safe return.
Kosmo....you done good....real good.
Life is a roller coaster.
You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

jigs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jigs » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:29 am

I have always believed that when we die we should be judged, not by our accomplishments in life, but more by how we raised our kids. because THAT is going to affect the world more than how big our estate is.

Soap, after reading Kosmo's letter, you will held up pretty high as far as I am conscerned

quickdraw

Postby quickdraw » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:11 am

It's not often this "old" goat gets emotional but this is one of these times.
Kinda wants to make me get a rope and pay those folks a visit.

"May the true God watch over you and your family and guide her back into the folds of your flock!
Aways let the IDIOT win an discussion, it gives them self esteem, and everyone knows they need it!

Cal
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Cal » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:14 am

Soap, I think about this awful situation often and wonder how I would handle a deal like this. My actual solutions probably wouldn't change anything and just get me a long jail sentence.

However, I was wondering how this cult makes it's money, and if the members are out in public....which they must be to some extent if she met the guy she married at school. Also, do you have an address or picture? You never know when someone on here might accidentaly be in the same area. Maybe there's also advice that you have to help others avoid such a situation.

Sure hope your family gets some good news re. this situation, soon.

cowwrangler

Postby cowwrangler » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:47 am

you have 2 very talented kids there Soapweed,hopefully Tiffany will also be able to read it,i hope it turns out for all of you

Julie

Postby Julie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:45 am

I am without words ...... this touched me so deeply. Thank you for sharing something so personal Soap --and may God bless you all for your goodness.
Cowgirl Logic: "Cowgirls never tell their age, cowboys never act theirs."

www.julie-carter.com

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:45 am

A similar case: We've already shared with Soapweed this story that our school friends went thru with their daughter who graduated at the top of her high school class. She decided to not go to college and instead disappeared with a guy she'd been dating. Our friends had no idea what had become of her for a couple years. Then one day their other daughter was on a bus and happened to see the missing sister on the sidewalk. She caught up with her and gradually the story unfolded that the boy friend had convinced her she needed to focus on only him and have no contact with any of her friends or relatives. She bought into it, was sequestered then found she couldn't escape his clutches.

Her sister helped her cook up a scheme to escape so, with their parents approval, the one in college dropped out temporarily and the two drove to another relative's home a few states away whom the boyfriend didn't know. They worked for a year until the sister felt safe enough to return home. She then went to college, got her M.S. in nursing, married and now has a family. Happy ending. :D
Part of her problem initially may have been some undiagnosed depression which has since turned up in a couple members of the same family. With medical treatment they are all feeling much better and living normal happy lives.

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:57 am

I too often think of Tiffany and prayers too..........
But Soap, I'm ready to get Dog the Bounty Hunter and bring her back to you....... Enough is enough, time for action.........
Don't sweat the small stuff.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:54 am

Cal wrote:Soap, I think about this awful situation often and wonder how I would handle a deal like this. My actual solutions probably wouldn't change anything and just get me a long jail sentence.

However, I was wondering how this cult makes it's money, and if the members are out in public....which they must be to some extent if she met the guy she married at school. Also, do you have an address or picture? You never know when someone on here might accidentaly be in the same area. Maybe there's also advice that you have to help others avoid such a situation.

Sure hope your family gets some good news re. this situation, soon.

Tiffany met this young man at her cousin's wedding. Tiffany was a bridesmaid for her cousin, and Thadd was a groomsman as he was a childhood friend of the groom. Besides not having anything to do with her parents and brothers, Tiffany and Thadd have also severed all connections with anyone in her previous life, including the couple that got them together.

The cult is not big. It consists only of Thadd, hid dad Russell, one of Thadd's sisters, and Tiffany. The mother is the only bread winner of the family. She nurses six days a week to put food on the table, but otherwise she doesn't seem to be involved in the cult itself. They have built a ten-foot high privacy fence around their house in the quiet little mountain town where they live. It looks like a fort and reeks of paranoia. They have to dink around with a padlock everytime they go in or out of their houseyard. They can have their dorky lifestyle. Give me the wide open spaces of cow country any day.

Return to “Coffee Shop”