Ranchers.net Bull Session

Pictures from our recent trip to Canada, Part Two

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Pictures from our recent trip to Canada, Part Two

Postby Soapweed » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:22 am

The wind blows in Canada, too.
My dad and his cousin, who is JF Ranch's dad
Rock formations on the old family homestead, near Wood Mountain
On of my Canadian second-cousins, who was the guide for our excursion
An old hole in a rock where Indians made their pemmican, which is buffalo jerky mixed with berries
A friend from Chadron, Nebraska, who came with us on our trek, my sister, and Peach Blossom
Parade honoring Tyler Lewis, Canadian Idol contestant and finalist
Coach pulling the royalty
Dance in the evening
Dancers in action. The lady on the left is my dad's cousin who celebrated her 90th birthday while we were there.
These ladies are sisters. The one on the left celebrated her 90th birthday, and the other one celebrated 80 years. It was a fine occasion for a family get-together, and we all had a wonderful time.
Younc pool shark busy practicing while we had a breakfast stop on our return trip home.

Maple Leaf Angus
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Maple Leaf Angus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:30 am

Great bunch of pictures, Soapweed. Thank you for letting us see a bit of your trip. Those two sisters - well, I think they could market some secrets as to how not to age! At the very least, how not to show one's age!

Guide for your "Excursion." Funny boy, Soapweed, funny boy!

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:56 am

Looks like you had a pile of things to celebrate in one trip! Gladit was a wonderful time in a land good for drying the wash and hair.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:38 pm

Soapweed do you know the name of the people that have your relations land now?

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

EmptyPockets

Postby EmptyPockets » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Looks like you had quite a trip Soapweed. Great pics.

Can't get over how young and youthful and active everyone looks up there. By the looks of your kin, you can ranch another 40 years before thinking of retiring!

The whole family except for me has taken in the pitchfork fondue and show. They all raved about it. Even have a neighbor goes up there annually just for the food. Looked like an enjoyable evening.

Found the picture of the hole in the rock where the Indians made the pemmican pretty darn neat. Bet during a rainy season the birds use it for a waterer.

Was wondering how long did it take to get a passport before going to the northland. Wife was wanting to go visit friends and I heard it takes 6 months to get one?

Thanks for sharing!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:24 pm

EmptyPockets wrote:Looks like you had quite a trip Soapweed. Great pics.

Can't get over how young and youthful and active everyone looks up there. By the looks of your kin, you can ranch another 40 years before thinking of retiring!

The whole family except for me has taken in the pitchfork fondue and show. They all raved about it. Even have a neighbor goes up there annually just for the food. Looked like an enjoyable evening.

Found the picture of the hole in the rock where the Indians made the pemmican pretty darn neat. Bet during a rainy season the birds use it for a waterer.

Was wondering how long did it take to get a passport before going to the northland. Wife was wanting to go visit friends and I heard it takes 6 months to get one?

Thanks for sharing!

You don't need a passport YET if you come by land. Air travel requires them. Make sure you have a photo ID like a drivers licence and probably birth certificates for the kids.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:30 pm

EmptyPockets wrote: Was wondering how long did it take to get a passport before going to the northland. Wife was wanting to go visit friends and I heard it takes 6 months to get one?

We didn't know we were going until the day before, so didn't have any passports. The agents at the border said that passports weren't necessary until January of 2008. If you have any intentions of visiting Canada, it probably would be a good idea to get the passport paperwork underway.
Last edited by Soapweed on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jassy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jassy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:23 pm

So glad you had a real vacation! Going to the salebarn doesn't count for a "vacation from the ranch"..lol Looks like you and your family had a great time...Glad yur back though...Thanks for sharing your vacation with us... :lol:
"When you get bucked off, the easiest way to explain it is to say you dropped your hat and got off in a hurry to get it.."

Jassy

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:01 am

Soapweed we were wondering what province of Canada was this in? And roughly how big across was the pemican hole?

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:30 am

nr wrote:Soapweed we were wondering what province of Canada was this in? And roughly how big across was the pemican hole?

Saskatchewan. Probably a foot and a half across, and a little over two feet long.

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:50 am

:lol: Our grandson is sitting beside me wanting to play with the computer but I thought I'd "expand his American Indian history" knowledge by showing him your hole in the rock/pemmican story. He tried so so hard to look interested but only wanted to get back to those computer keys! :cry: Another geek in the line-up of clan geeks.

Return to “Coffee Shop”